Renewing Our Apartment Lease

Our apartment lease gets updated on a yearly basis.  Lea and I just committed to another year to get a much better rate than, say, month-to-month.  I have been here a dozen years which is easily the most stable living situation in my adult life. The apartments were owned and managed by BRE Properties until last month when BRE was merged with Essex Property Management forming a REIT with $11 billion in market capitalization.

Unfortunately Essex seems to be in a hurry to get its money back trying to raise my rent by 9% in a regional market projected to go up by 4% this year.  I was able to negotiate a 6% rent increase.  Downtown Bellevue is the epicenter of high and increasing rental rates on the Eastside.  I am just east of the freeway from there.  I like living here in a nice apartment with an extremely convenient location and am not interested in moving.

The biggest downside to this place is we live on a small hill lacking sidewalks so I can’t get readily around the neighborhood in my wheelchair.  Most destinations are within a 5 or 10 minute drive.


I am grateful to be able to afford and have a nice place to live in a convenient location.  I am glad Lea is here.   We get along well and are good for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment