Google Reader

I have used the RSS news aggregator Google Reader as my home page since it was released via Google labs in late 2005.  It has been a fantastic tool for me to scan preferred website headlines without having to install and setup an RSS reader on every PC I have had.  I just log into my Google/Gmail account and voilà .

My news sources ranged local news at the Seattle Times to an international perspective at The Economist and the BBC, with a strong tendency towards libertarian soft-tech sites such as Tech Dirt and SlashDot. 

The Seattle Times recently put-up some sort of pseudo paywall limiting the number of articles I could read each month without getting nagware popups.  It is hard to imagine how being annoying & difficult working well for them on the web.  They seem to be copying the RIAA luddite playbook for hardcopy media refusing to play by digital rules.

Two months ago on March 13, Google announced GR will be closed on July 1st due to declining use.  There are RSS applications that would require setup and installation on every PC.  Modifications would be a hassle to replicate.  I will undoubtedly switch to another online RSS aggregator such as Feedly or Pulse when Google finally pulls the plug on Google Reader.  Until then, I am hoping that Google recants on pulling the plug on GR.

I love and am grateful for RSS newsfeeds and aggregators, especially Google Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment