Celebrating Birthdays – Gigi and Dan

Once a month for the last 15 years, I have taken my sister’s former stepson Dan out to lunch.  Yesterday Lea, Michelle and I took Dan to Spud’s on Greenlake for fish-n-chips.  We ordered lunch and got a table outside on a chilly day in late May.  Lea played hacky-sack with Dan until lunch was ready.  After lunch, I gave Dan a large bag of cigarette tobacco and then we sang happy birthday to him.  It was easily the happiest I had ever seen him.  He really enjoyed his birthday lunch.

Today we are celebrating Gigi’s 22nd year of sobriety.  I am going to get some donuts from Top Pot and have Gigi chair the AM Reflections meeting.  Today’s topic is happy, joyous and free. 

Gigi is one of the best friends I have ever had in my life.  We are personality extremes.  She is high-energy and non-linear.  I am low-energy and very linear.  Gigi has taught me how to celebrate important events over time instead of trying to have that one perfect moment that lasts forever.


I am grateful to have learned how to celebrate the milestones and joy my friend’s life with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment