Gift Giving Without Strings


Before recovery, I would want to give a person a gift as a random act of kindness.  I was not able to do that because I would always need to trade tit-for-tat in a way that came out like “if you do that, I will gave you this”.  That was not giving a gift and rarely worked as hoped for.

Today I am able to freely give gifts without strings attached.  That is fantastic progress from how it used to be.  It feels good to give a nice appropriate gift to a friend regardless of whether it was so something they said they wanted or if I did it in a random act of kindness.

Gigi had 22 years of sobriety this month.  She wanted a fancy medallion and a sweet treat.  I will give her both on Friday at the 9:30 AM Reflections meeting where I am currently serving as secretary.

I am grateful for the progress I have made in being able to give gifts to others as a way of expressing my gratitude for important relationships in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment