Well-Being Theory and Flourishing

Ten years ago I was working with a group on writing a personal inventory. An outcome of the inventory project was for each of us to come up with our personal word to describe yourself (ourselves?). My word was flourish.

Casting about on the web this morning for a science foundation to build on for today's writing, I went to Martin Seligman's site at the U of Penn. A goal of Well-Being Theory is to "Increase flourishing by increasing positive emotion, engagement, positive relationships, meaning, and accomplishment". I am flourishing today.

I have positive emotions created by working towards a life that I desire as opposed to a life of enduring and avoiding using. I have a good start on engagement each day when writing my Gratitude Blog. Yesterday, I met with four friends for a social hour at the mall before our home-group meeting. I am working on helping others and will soon begin looking for an appropriate volunteer position. I am conditioning/retraining myself to reframe my accomplishments in a positive perspective.

I am grateful and blessed for the positive mindset that has reshaped my perspective in my first 50 days of recovery.

An example of reshaping my accomplishments is that when I got up to write this morning, I had the perception I was going to write a longer and more profound posting. It turned out to be a short post. My mental reframing occurs when changing my mindset from disappointment in being too short to the pleasure of accomplishment—for the same posting. I am flourishing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment