Increased Compassion and Empathy

Writing about things I am grateful for has led to an increased sense of gratitude in my life. A surprising result of being more grateful is that I also have an increased sense of compassion and empathy for others.

Tried helping an addict I know with all-over body pain from an unknown cause work her way through the public health system in the last week. She went to three appointments. Before the fourth appointment, she had to go back to using. Dropping her at the dope-house was one of the saddest drives ever. It was like driving a beloved pet to the vet to be put down. Not only was that a bad way to live, being in intense chronic pain constantly needing heroin was an ugly way to die.

I have compassion and empathy for her, her pain, and her addiction. I am also extremely grateful that is not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment