A New Year's Resolution of 90 meetings in 90 meetings — Cracking the Habit Code


This year, I have decided to make one NYR that I will do my best to achieve.  Historically, my NYR's were about as serious as wishes before blowing out the candles on a birthday cake or hoping for money from the tooth fairy. 

My resolution for 2013 is to attend 90 meetings in the 90 days.  It is a simple resolution that will reduce my isolation leading to much more social interaction with others afflicted with the same cunning baffling and powerful malady of alcoholism and/or addiction.   This will also help me find more newcomers to work with to help us both stay sober.

When I first started going to meetings in mid-1999, I went to 175 meetings in 90 days.  I was not able to stay sober, but I was able to keep going to meetings.  After a geographic change from Kirkland to Bellevue,  I did achieve 5 years, one year and almost 6 years of continuous sobriety.   Going to meetings was the single most important activity towards helping me stay sober.  I ended 2012 attending 15 meetings in 15 days.

I am going to use a 21-day online audio lecture by Dr Christine Carter  Cracking the Habit Code to help create a new habit of going to meetings on a daily basis.

I am grateful for all the resources available to help me stay sober such as: writing my Gratitude Blog; online lectures on changing habits; 100+ meetings/week within a mile of my home; good friends that support me; friends I have not yet met to talk with at the meetings; 12-step literature; and the experience of millions that have proven the 12-step program as one of the most powerful methods ever developed to change lives for better.

It is a glorious new year.


PS: 2012 went out with a thud.  I wrote yesterday about how interacting with my mother is a huge trigger for my using.  While meeting with my sponsor Charlie at Crossroads Mall yesterday, somebody tapped me on my shoulder.  To my surprise and dismay, it was my mother.  I had never run into my mother in public before in my 53 years.  It was a short polite cold conversation.  After parting with Charlie, I bought a few things at QFC.  My mother ended being in line behind me.  I did not see her until she asked "Are you following me?".  I replied with a curt no and left the store.

My sponsor said I needed to get over my resentments.  My reply was that there is a lot of pain from my past experiences with my mother.  It is not resentment that keeps me from talking with her.  Self-preservation from knowing that she has been my biggest relapse trigger over the last 13 years is what keeps me away from my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment