Perihelion in northern winters

The earth's orbit of the sun, like all orbits, is an ellipse. For the earth, that means we are a little bit closer to the sun in winter and a little further away in summer. That helps to moderate temperature extremes between winter and summer. We are in midst of a winter cold spell in Seattle that will last for a short week. It got down below freezing last night and will warm up to 40F this afternoon.

Temperature extremes are actually a big issue for me. I am a total weather wuss that does not do well over 85F and below freezing. Getting stuck in the snow would be a nightmare for me and I am susceptible to heat stroke.

I am grateful for the earth's inclined elliptical orbit that results in moderated seasons in the northern hemisphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment