Tons of Meetings Close to Home

Downtown Bellevue has more than 70 twelve-step meetings per week. The Alano Club of the Eastside (ACES) is 10 blocks due north of my apartment. They have 12-step meetings from 6 AM to 11 PM daily with midnight meetings on Friday and Saturday. The vast majority of the meetings are AA. Sometimes they have two meetings going on simultaneously in the clubhouse and the annex. ACES also has Al-Anon, Overeaters A, Cocaine A, and Marijuana A meetings. Then there are a score of once/week meetings at local churches and restaurants.

Bellevue has a higher percentage of accessible meetings than the surrounding cities. ACES certainly helps increase that percentage. Older churches with basements, attics and portables are the home to most of the not-accessible meetings. About 30% of the meetings locations on the greater Eastside are not accessible. I don't spend any energy on increasing wheelchair accessibility.

So far while doing my New Year's resolution of 90 meetings in 90 days ("90 in 90"), I have only made it to afternoon and evening meetings. I have done a meeting/day for 23 of the last 24 days.

Sooner or later, I will attend all of the morning meetings. Most likely that will be later. By nature, I am not a early morning person.

I am blessed and grateful to have an abundance of accessible 12-step meetings so close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment