Grateful for prison meetings

I volunteer at the Washington State Reformatory on the second Thursday night of each month. Tonight was this month's meeting at the WSR. As always, it was a great meeting. The inmates in 12-step meetings have an admirable level of serenity while living in a stressful crowded highly controlled prison environment.

In December, I will have been going to the WSR for 12 years. The inmates have been role models for me in learning how to have serenity in my life even with a life sentence behind bars. They live behind prison bars. I live within the bars making up the frame of my wheelchair.

Tonight we had a new volunteer go with us. Welcome to Lisa B. She had been ready to go for several months, but unfortunate timing worked against us getting it together so that she could attend previous meetings with us. It was good timing in the sense that Margie C can't make it again until near the end of 2011. Leslee, Mark, me and the inmates appreciated her stepping up to be of service to others.

I am grateful for the lessons I learn when trying to be of service to others at the WSR.

No comments:

Post a Comment