Celebrating milestones with friends

Today I got to give a friend a birthday card and buy her lunch—four days before her birthday. She is not a big fan of the smeared-out birthday celebration like I am. It went well. I got to write that I love her and am very proud of her. She is doing really well considering the nasty painful shoulder she has to deal with.

I also got to take two friends to the T-Mobile store to help them buy new cell phones. Shawna sold hernearly new smart phone to Leslee and then bought a new G2 with the money and contract renewal credit. She was delighted with her new G2. Leslee upgraded from a pre-paid G0 (zero!) phone to a G3 smart phone with full web access, touch screen and qwerty keys.

It took 2 T-Mobile sales guys over an hour with help to complete the transaction. It is easy to imagine why few people shop at the T-Mobile store even though they have the best monthly rate plans for smart phones. I can buy a phone at Walmart for T-Mobile with a swipe of the bar code at the cash register. At the T-Mobile store, the same process takes 20 minutes.

Someday soon, I will have to pony up for matching technology. I will likely get an Android touch-pad in the next year while stretching out my basic cell phone plan for as long as possible.

I am grateful for all the choices in mobile communications and connectivity between devices types, manufacturers and cell service providers, and that I am able to help my friends shop wisely between a myriad of deliberately confusing choices. Competition is a good thing for consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment