fresh running water & a drain that works

My kitchen sink stopped draining last night. I made a few tries to get it to clear by running the garbage disposal. That didn't work. This morning there was a nasty sewage smell in my living room/kitchen—fortunately it was not too pungent.

I called the apartment maintenance dispatch people at 8:30 expecting a tech within 30 minutes. 4 hours later, still no tech, I called again. The work order had been 'picked up' but the tech had not arrived. I called the leasing office for more help. Cory got a tech over here in 15 minutes.

The tech was a new guy. He spent an hour on the problem, said it was fixed and left. I quickly ran some water and found that it was not fixed. The techs run around the complex with electric golf carts. He was in the cart by the time I got to the door. I did catch him at the tool shed before he put his tools away.

He came right back and worked on the drain some more. Using a small manual drain snake, he was not able to clear the drain. Using a larger electric powered snake, James ran it down the drain 50 feet. When he put the drain pipe back together, the drain worked as designed.

I was grateful that it only affected my kitchen sink drain and not my bathroom sink, toilet or shower. I am extremely grateful for clean inexpensive soft potable water. Good water is a major benefit of living in Western Washington with our large undeveloped forested watersheds.

No comments:

Post a Comment