The Serenity Prayer

Many forms of the serenity prayer exists.  This is the best known per Wikipedia and my favorite.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I have much serenity in my life today accepting not only the things I cannot change, but also those things that I am not going to bother with or put the effort into changing.  Mostly it boils down to what I am willing to work on based on my perception of how much work it will be.

There is one guy with a spinal cord injury like mine that climbed the Half Dome in Yosemite and another guy that climbed Mt Rainier.  Based on their success, I could do those activities.  I don’t even want to be at the top of either mountain and am definitely not willing to work at it like they did.

More pragmatically, it would be good to be more fit and less fat.  I am working on it little by slowly.  I went swimming twice last week and this week.

One of my issues in getting and keeping serene to is be okay with some being enough.  As a kid, my parents always pushed me to do/get/want more—there was never enough.  That thinking ruled my soul for decades.  Years of recovery has overcome that insane imprinting to a just about functional degree.  That is good enough for today.


I am grateful for the serenity in my life, that my needs for food and shelter are met and that I am learning how to love and be loved in a healthy way that works today.

No comments:

Post a Comment