Comfort From The Pain Of Others

One of the women that goes out to the prison with us every month on the second Thursday had 5 years of sobriety for the third time last month.  Tonight at the meeting she had seven days.  OMG!  I like her a lot, am sorry she relapsed and wish her well.  There is also huge comfort for me in knowing that I am not alone with my problems of relapse.  I made it a point to give her a hug after the meeting, tell her I love her, am glad she is back and that she is resilient and has true grit to keep coming back.

Often, the funniest moments at 12-step meeting are when we bare our heart & soul sharing the dumbass things we have done while using our own best alcoholic-minded thinking.   Nobody laughed at the lady with 7 days.  Alcoholism is a fatal progressive disease and no joke.

I am grateful my friend made it back to the meeting.  She was in a lot of pain before using.  Hopefully know she will have additional humility enabling her to flourish with increased spiritual growth.  I am glad it was not me.





No comments:

Post a Comment