Michelle Is Back

Got a call from Harborview ER at 5:30 this morning.  Michelle had been badly beaten while living in the homeless camps by the freeway in Seattle (aka the jungle) for the second time this month.  She said she was ready to quit drinking & using and wanted to stay with us.  Told her to call me back in 15 minutes and talked it over with Lea.  We agreed to go get her and let her stay with us—with the condition that she get a sponsor and work the steps.

Her face was a big bruise around both eyes.  She was so sore that she could not buckle her seatbelt.  Definitely some incomprehensible demoralization going on with her.  It reminded me of picking up Lea 1/1/13 when all she could do was cry and when I checked into the psych ward at Harborview 16 years ago for being suicidal.  Lea and I were both glad it was not us.

I hope Michelle does the work to stay sober this time.  She is one of the most talented people I have known in my life reminding me very much of my good friend Mark Adams with his fantastic talents.  20 years ago Mark stopped drinking for 6 months, then got drunk and blew his brains out with a .22 rifle.  He did not work a program of recovery and white-knuckling it only goes so far.

I am grateful Michelle is alive and not drinking now.  I am even more grateful that it is not me in that heinous pain of knowing drinking no longer works and being too scared to quite.  More will be revealed…



No comments:

Post a Comment