The Forces Of Nature

This evening I watered my plants before tomorrow’s one day heat wave of near 90° F.  Earlier today I watched part of Richard Feynman’s physics lectures done by the BBC at Cornell in 1964 (One of the world’s all-time great physics professors.  Feynman is the man on the Space Shuttle Challenger inquiry board that stuck a black rubber band in ice-water incontrovertibly explaining frozen rubber bands do not make good gaskets for rocket fuel.) Played around with wire wrapping and beading.  Sandy went to Central Welding Supply in Redmond to look at torches with me after lunch.  My car started and drove in its usually reliably way.  Made dirty rice with Hawaiian chicken and pineapple.


I am grateful for how the 4 fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, weak & strong nuclear force) of the Standard Model of the Universe interact to make the universe as we know it so that I can water my plants, drive my car, breathe air, enjoy lunch, and look at pretty things.  The 95% of the Universe’s mass-energy contained in dark matter and energy presumably also makes our life better—somehow…

No comments:

Post a Comment