Web Literacy

Yesterday and today, two people explained how to access arcane hard-to-find information with out of print books and a rare catalog.  Google pulled up one of these rare factoids on the first 20 hits with a 3-word search string when I checked—much like I expected.

I have a 3G Android smart phone that is too small and slow for my web usage for anything more than occasional use while away from home.  I got it 18 months ago.  I feel like a bit of a Luddite for not stepping up to 4G.  I am holding off for a phone/tablet (phablet) with a giant phone screen and a 4G connection with an unlimited rate plan below $50/month.

I have more than a few idiosyncratic spending habits.  Two examples of this are spending $50/month for a less fortunate person’s DSL for the last 4 years while I won’t spend $70 for 4G mobile access for myself. nor will I pay Comcast $70/month for basic cable.  I envy South Korea for their 10x faster web access at 1/5th the cost of US corporate gouging rates and service.  I digress.

Back to web literacy, I am grateful for my knowledge of how to use the web and for the web itself.  The Chinese web commerce company (“online-shopping behemoth” per the Wall Street Journal) Alibaba is predicted to have (one of) the largest stock market IPO’s in history real soon now.  The web is changing the world for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment