Progressive Gratitude

Gratitude should go forward, rather than backward.   As Bill Sees It, p. 29

I am very grateful that my Higher Power has given me a second chance to live a worthwhile life. Through Alcoholics Anonymous, I have been restored to sanity. The promises are being fulfilled in my life. I am grateful to be free from the slavery of alcohol. I am grateful for peace of mind and the opportunity to grow, but my gratitude should go forward rather than backward. I cannot stay sober on yesterday's meetings or past Twelfth-Step calls; I need to put my gratitude into action today. Our co-founder said our gratitude can best be shown by carrying the message to others. Without action, my gratitude is just a pleasant emotion. I need to put it into action by working Step Twelve, by carrying the message and practicing the principles in all my affairs. I am grateful for the chance to carry the message today!


I had a wonderful joy getting to the meeting 5:30 meeting this sunny warm afternoon with Lea and D.  Mo got a place to live in a downtown Bellevue condo after being homeless for two years.  Elma was back at the meeting after being gone for two years of research in Arizona.   Brad was getting on his new Harley after having gone MIA five years ago.  Jon has a job.   Greg made it to the meeting coming up on seven months.  Lea now has 80 days after having used once in the last 5+ months.   D has six months and is due to have her baby while sober in the next couple of weeks.

Sobriety is an incredible positive sum game where we can all do better.  Using is a negative sum game where we throw each other under the bus to get more for ourselves.   It is great to see my friends all making progress.  The milestones are much better for those of us that are sober.  Michelle is now longer listed in the King County Jail Registrar—at least in jail she was sober and safe (further research revealed that she got out today after 19 days and 4 arrests in the last year).

I am grateful for my sobriety, the sobriety of my friends who have struggled and for the joy of living a life with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment