Texting Via Google Voice

I rarely send SMS/text (txt) messages using my cell phone.  In fact, I rarely use my cell phone except when making calls while in my car.  Now that I have a (slow) 3G smart phone, I will occasionally use Google search to look up information, but certainly not in the same fashion as when I am at my PC with a 40 MBs DSL connection with a giant ergonomic keyboard and a 32” monitor.  Search on my smart phone is more of a way to kill time than it is to get information beyond an address or phone number.

I have had a Google Voice number dating back to when it was GrandCentral in 2007.  At the time, I was working customer service at a small VOIP phone company.  GrandCentral provided a free product that somewhat matched up with what they charged $18.95.  As a stock-vested employee, I was hoping for a killer IPO.  That IPO did not happen.

I do use Google Voice to send txt messages from my PC to a few of my friends’ cell phones when they are either not answering the phone or out of talk-minutes while still able to txt. 


I am grateful for the plethora of web-based tools such as Google Voice that have changed the face of telecommunication from a simple POTS line with no voice-mail, call-waiting nor caller ID when I was a kid to the feature rich environment that it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment