Letting Go Of My Own Best Thinking

Tonight’s meeting topic was letting go as in letting go of my own best thinking.  My thinking on the logistics of getting my new car from the Bremerton ferry dock was a great example of why I need to let go of my own best thinking. 

First I obsessed on how to get up the giant ramp over Alaskan Way to the passenger-only deck.  Then I obsessed on how to hold and not spend cash overnight from a Friday trip to the bank until buying the car on Saturday.

A short web search did not provide an accessible solution for the ramp.  A phone call to the ferry ADA line was not returned. A second phone call got the answer I needed in relatively short order on a automated decision tree leading to a person at the ferry information desk—use the elevator.

Likewise talking about my concerns at the meeting yesterday resulted in a member sharing a blindingly obvious answer of using a cashier’s check that I had not fully considered.  In the past, I had screwed up a planned money order purchase.  Not so easily done with a cashier’s check.  It cost an extra $12 which was well worth it for my sobriety, the peace of mind and safety of my car funds.


I am grateful today to be better able to let go of get around my own best thinking and ask others for help thinking outside of my limited thinking which is trapped by my biases.  Progress, not perfection…

No comments:

Post a Comment