Step 6 Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character

Being a fairly literal person, for years I had a problem with “entirely ready” since to me that meant something close to infinitely perfectly ready which is not something I was anywhere near close to achieving. 

Reading Step 6 from the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions described entirely ready as being an ideal for us to strive for and not a prerequisite for progress.  Over the years of 12-step recovery, I had come to think of entirely ready to mean reasonably ready—a status that I could work towards.

This morning while ready Step 6 from the 12x12 with Lea before the 9:30 meeting, I had a small epiphany realizing that I am entirely ready to have god remove my defects of character or, if you will, sins.  Three weeks ago another epiphany got me to let go of sloth and gluttony while at a 7th step meeting.  That is a lot of progress in letting go of my defects of character.  Nothing I could really force to happen beyond diligently working a program of recovery to the best of my ability.


I am grateful for my god-given gift of willingness to go to meetings, have a sponsor, work the steps, participate in the fellowship and carry the message of recovery to the still suffering alcoholics.

No comments:

Post a Comment