Living in the Present Moment

I have enjoyed a long continuous string of successful happy serene days for months as a result of diligently working on overcoming chronic depression, drug addiction, paraplegia and other health care issues for the last 14 years.

When I was first paralyzed in 1981, my rehab resident MD gave me a book to journal in.  I would sporadically journal several times of year about how my life is almost together and soon I will be happy.  After rereading my journal entries in 1984, I gave up writing.  I had succeeded at many personal achievements such as doing a marathon in my wheelchair, scuba diving, Hawaii wheelchair tennis doubles champ, getting into Chemical Engineering at UC Santa Barbara and more.  Yet I still was not happy in a bone-deep serene way.  There was a lot of fear and drug abuse in my life.

Today there is little fear and no drug abuse in my life.  It is a big achievement and a lot of work that I could not have done on my own.  Many people helped find my way on my journey through life towards being the person I was always meant to be.


I am grateful for my serenity, happiness, the loving support of fellow trudgers in recovery on the road to happy destinies and my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment