A Big Project

For most of my adult life, I have had a big project I was working on—at least in my mind.  Few of these projects ever came to complete fruition.  There was a lot of alcoholic grandiosity going on which enabled me to avoid living in the present moment by being focused on the future when someday…I would be successful and complete.

I have not had a big project for years.  Last week while talking with older friends in recovery that I have great respect for, they did not have grand projects either.  Simply staying sober has been tough for me.  Even so, I need to do more by way of getting a hobby or leisure activity.  Swimming is a fantastic start.

While facing a blank screen this morning, it occurred to me that my big project could be me.  While at the doctor’s office this week, I got weighed.  With my chair, boots and backpack, it was 330 lbs.  Basically, I am a shade over 300 lbs.  That has got to change.  I need a big project.  Voila!   My big project is to swim every day and lost weight until I get to be less than 210 lbs.  It has been 30 years since the last time I weighed 212 lbs.

I am grateful for my newfound big project of diet and exercise.  Now I know what I will be doing every day for the foreseeable future.  I will need all the help I can get from my “angels” to achieve this goal.  Even if I fail to make 210, whatever progress I make will be a great success.


1 comment: