Literacy -- Reading is a Great Thing!

I have been a reader all my life and come from a family of readers.  That has been a huge blessing in the Information Age.  It enables me to continue self-study as a life-long learner reading from books and the web. 

The reading world has undergone fantastic change since my childhood on the farm where the latest news came from the newspaper or a magazine.  Now a magazine is a nice portable disposable source of reading and not something that is read at home.  I read a copy of The Economist over the last month while waiting in my car for others to run errands.  

Yesterday I read a discarded copy of the Seattle Times newspaper while waiting to meet Sandy for lunch at Crossroads Mall.  It was an emaciated version of formerly great regional newspaper.  It is amazing how free online ads from the nonprofit Craigslist almost single-handedly killed the newspaper industries regional price-fixing oligopoly on advertisements.  (I bought a bicycle and a beading kit off CL in the last week for a total of $40—that was about the price of an ad back in the day.)


I am grateful for written communications, literacy, my love of reading and the miracle of the world wide web in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment