Some Mechanical Ability

My father taught me a lot about mechanical devices, their nuts & bolts, welding, hydraulics and more while growing up on a farm.  I don’t often overtly use those skills living in an apartment, but they are damned handy when I do need them.

A bearing has been failing on the right front castor of my wheelchair.  I had ordered a new one last month ago from the vendor, ATG Rehab.  When the vendor was a mile from my home in Bellevue they were slow.  Now they moved to Lynnwood and are owned ATG Rehab with an even slower processes to getting new parts for my wheelchair.

Yesterday, the bearing failed completely and is frozen solid rendering my wheelchair difficult to use and slow to go anywhere.  This morning, I took the bearing assembly apart.  The bearing is still frozen, but I loosened the axle bolt and so have a mechanical bearing instead of the ball-bearing.  It is much better than it was, but still a farm-fix with a damaged bearing.

I am grateful for the mechanical skills my father taught me growing up on our family farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment