Three Years on Methadone

My roommate started starting methadone on March 12, 2013.    She has was a homeless drug addict with a 24x7 addiction doing crimes to pay for her drugs.  Now she is getting good grades  and almost done with her second quarter of college.

I was never a fan of the methadone treatment.   Seemed like it was just switching dealers to me.   That is still true to some extent.  The harm reduction done by getting out of the criminal world and lives of addicts is huge.  It is vastly less expensive to give her methadone than frequent trips to jails and ERs.   Plus, she is on her way towards again being a productive member of society.

It takes a miracle for addicts to get and stay clean.   Nobody I know can predict who will and won’t make it.  We have to want it and be willing to do the frequently painful work of healing our horribly damaged psyches so that we no longer need to self-medicate our way through our lives. 

That miracle has happened for my roommate.   I am very happy for her and proud of all she has done to make herself a better person with a much better life.


I am grateful for the miracle of recovery and for all those that have done the work to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment