Family Affairs


My mother has severe dementia due undoubtedly (but not medically proven cuz if it was things would be different) to Alzheimer’s.    Her Morgan-Stanley broker got an expensive downtown lawyer to serve as her attorney while the broker churns her account.  5 years ago, my sister and I tried to get the King County family court to appoint a guardian ad litem.   The lawyer, Ladd Leavins, blocked that action saying he would manage her affairs and promised to provide quarterly statements of our mother’s financial records.   We got the last quarterly records 7 months ago and no response when asked for current records this month.

My sister emailed the judge today requesting him to enforce the decree promising quarterly copies of our mother’s financial records.  My mother is too toxic for me to deal with, but I sure don’t want some sleazy broker churning his way through the rest of her account unsupervised.

I am grateful for my sister’s diligence and financial acumen in protecting our mother’s estate.  The facility she lives in cooperates extremely well with the lawyer and broker—and would through her out in a heartbeat if she could not longer afford their expensive care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment