A New Handwriting Plan

For nine months, I worked my way through the NA Step Study Guides [sic] handwriting out my answers to a reputed 458 questions on the 12-steps.  I finished that two weeks ago. 

Since then, I have tried daily handwriting on the 10th step via the NA’s International Pamphlet #9 which is a 10th step pamphlet with 36 questions.  That wasn’t the right thing. 

AA’s Big Book has explicit directions on the 11th step about when we are selfish, dishonest, afraid, kind, loving, done better, thinking of ourselves, or done for others.  That was also not the right thing for me to write about.

The problem with both of them is that there was a lot of focus on negative behavior.  I already have enough morbid reflection.   I need to develop a positive practice with handwritten thoughts much like this gratitude blog with a keyboard.

The NA IP9 did ask about having practiced “spiritual principles” in our day.   I did not know how to answer that since I don’t know what the spiritual principles are beyond being kind and loving.

It had occurred to us the so-called spiritual principles of AA which appear nowhere in the official literature.  They are posted online, on the walls of some meeting rooms and intermittently passed around on business cards or some other literature.   This morning a woman referenced them during a 15-minute speaker share and I was inspired to use them as the focus for a nightly handwriting  exercise.

The 12 Spiritual Principles are:
1.      Honesty             
2.      Hope                 
3.      Faith                  
4.      Courage             
5.      Integrity            
6.      Willingness                    
7.      Humility            
8.      Brotherly Love              
9.      Justice               
10.     Perseverance                
11.     Spirituality                   
12.     Service 

Tonight  I wrote a page about honestly, my lies of omission and my need to encourage my roommate to make healthy choices in her relationships.

I am grateful for my new writing exercise, for great recovery and great meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment