Mad Homework Skillz

Helped my roommate do a 25-question homework assignment on HIV/AIDS.   She was really struggling with her methodology.   She would handwrite every question and every answer while working from the [seemingly wrong] handout.   First I showed her how to highlight the question and right-click to Google the answer.   Then I got her to stop using the an old version of the handout and use the handout from her classes online website.

She was flummoxed, frustrated and overwhelmed by the assignment due in large part to an extremely labor intensive method due to a lack of skills with Word, Google and homework.

I tend to discount knowledge that I have due to a known fallacy of assuming people know what I know.   As reminded of while helping my roommate, I have excellent Google/copy/paste skills.   15 years ago as a MS Windows support tech, the best skill I had was being able to accurately setup a Google search.  If I could have only one web URL to use, that URL would be Google—to get to all others.

I am grateful for my reading, writing, computer and web literacy.   Those skills make my life incalculably better.


No comments:

Post a Comment