Almost Three Years

My roommate Lea has lived with me for the last 35 months while changing her life from having drug usage and crimes to pay for them to being mostly clean from street drugs.  She has progressed from the complete and utter incomprehensible demoralization of when the drugs stopped working to being in her second quarter of college with good grades.  It is a truly miraculous infinite improvement from all negative to mostly positive.

Unfortunately a few of her old shortcomings that come out sideways and are causing problems in our relationship that I can’t tolerate—and we have been through a lot.  In the last three weeks, she has bailed on her housekeeping chores and taken to screaming at me several times.  The cleaning was negotiable.  The verbal and emotional violence from yelling is not acceptable.

Helping her this far is the greatest thing I have done for another person in my life. I like her and love her and wish her great success on the rest of her journey through life.  

I am grateful for having had Lea in my life.   I enjoyed her company and learned a lot about relationships.  It has been a front-row seat to a miracle to watch her progress from where she was to where she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment