A Hate Crime In Redmond

Sandy and I have dine together nearly every week for going on eight years.   We have been having lunch for the last five years.   For three years before that, we would get together for dinner.    She is one of the best friends I have ever had in my life.  We meet somewhere in Redmond or Kirkland.   We used to make an effort to rotate restaurants every time.

Today we meet in Redmond to have lunch and patronize a thrift store owned by a black woman that had a KKK robe dropped off for consignment.   The thrift store owner was still traumatized by the experience almost a month later.   She had her door locked when we came by at 2 PM.

Turns out that she is a gospel singer and Sandy knew Leona from when she sang at Sandy’s church two years ago.   She is a talented woman from the Bahamas that sings, paints and dedicates a large portion of the proceeds from her store to health causes back in the Bahamas.   It boogles my mind how someone would think that is the sort of person deserving to be persecuted in our community—kind, smart, talented, hard-working.

Leona was clearly still upset by the experience as she recounted it to us.   Sandy was unaware of the story.   We got some items for purchase.   I paid for them and told Sandy her birthday came early this year.   Our birthdays are a few days apart in early March.  Mission accomplished!

I am grateful to live in a place where hate crimes are so rare as to make the news.   I am also grateful for the wherewithal to support talented immigrants and for my good friend Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment