Republic Wireless


My buying habits are bizarre.   I will waste all my money on drugs while using.  While clean, I tend to be a parsimonious purchaser.  I don’t have cable TV due in great part for feeling like it is a grossly overpriced, and hating the idea of having to deal with Comcast customer service.

I held off on getting a smart phone for 5 years after the first iPhone came out.   I felt no compulsion to spend $100/month for internet access on a tiny screen when I had much faster access at home on large monitors.

I finally got an Android Moto Defy smart phone 3 years ago.  It worked on Sprint’s 3G cell network via the Republic Wireless wifi-hybrid rebiller system.   Two years ago, I upgraded to Moto X 2nd generation phone on 4G.  It was a larger screen and faster internet connection.   I still don’t use much data.  My 4G phone plan with little usage is about $17/month.   That is the best deal I know of in the US and it works great for me.  I am limited to a few specific phones.   Having a ginormous phone (phablet) seems attractive at times but I also know that I don’t want to carry around such a large device.

Anyhoo, I setup my old Defy XT for Danica tonight.   Compared with a Best Buy phone buying experience 3 years ago, this was a treat to be able to do it online.  Admittedly the Defy XT is not working yet.  I think she has to go outside the apartment to get a better cell connection on the Sprint Network.


I am grateful for the commodifaction of Smart phone cell service.   It has been a blazingly fast revolution since that first iPhone in June of 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment