Compassion and Empathy for Myself and Others

I am working my way through the NA Step Study Guides [sic] workbook writing a page of cursive every night before writing this blog post.   Now I am on the 9th step where it was discussing compassion and empathy.   I have always felt for people in bad situations.   Since I was already emotionally shut-down, my sense of compassion and empathy for others was limited.  Part of me was afraid of making their problems my problems as if they were contagious diseases.

Today I am much better able to have compassion and empathy for others while having at least semi-healthy boundaries to recognize that their problems are not my problems.

I am grateful for my increased compassion and empathy for others while being less shut-down than how it used to be.   It makes me feel that much more a part of the human condition instead of being terminally unique and filled with self-pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment