It Could Have Been Worse



Had an appointment to get my teeth cleaned this morning.  Went to the dental clinic and tried to transfer from my car to my wheelchair.  I fell three times before giving up and going home.  I had my roommate hold my chair when I got home.

Since I burned my ankle 50 weeks ago.  I have been fighting a cascading series of health problems resulting in my gaining weight with a concurrent loss of strength and fitness resulting in a catastrophic loss of mobility and freedom.  I woke up this morning with anxiety about being able to transfer to my chair from my car.  Turns out I was right to be concerned.

Fortunately I did not hurt my upper body and was able to get back in my car which I was not sure I could do by myself.   I was exhausted when I got home.   After a nap, I woke up slightly sore.

The obvious solution is diet and exercise.  I will try getting back in the pool soon.  There are some problems with swimming.   Hopefully they will not be too big an issue.  I have a stationary hand-bike that I will use along with other activities.

A big part of the diet change will be swapping nuts, cheese and dried fruit for fresh vegetable snacks.

I know what to do.  Mustering the discipline is the hard part.   I have found plenty of reasons for motiviation.  If I can’t use my car, I am homebound.   That is a horribly drastic consequence for lacking motivation and discipline to become more physically fit.

I am grateful I did not hurt my upper body after falling and getting back in my car three times today.   It could have been worse.



No comments:

Post a Comment