Pot Roast

My mother was a terrible cook.   We butchered our own farm raised steers.   Dinners were nutritious, but never delicious.   My grandmother lived in her house several hundred yards across the field.   She was a great farm cook and liked to use a woodstove even though she had a moderm electric oven and stove-top range.

Perhaps my favorite meal cooked by grandma was potroast.   She would cook it in an electric skillet so that the roast was dark brown, tender and delicious.   I got a chuck roast from Whole Foods yesterday after a nice talk with the head of the meat department about various issues.   I put the roast in a crock pot for hours and then pan fried it on low heat until dark brown.   It was just the way I like it.   Apparently so did my roommates judging by how quick it disappeared.

I am so incredibly grateful for having had my grandmother in my life.   She was a bastion of sanity in a dysfunctional world.  It was a joy to eat lunch with her and my brother Bryce while working on the farm as an adolescent.   He got her to tell great stories about our relatives that I never knew.


No comments:

Post a Comment