Lies of Omission

A friend asked me for a ride to the store.  Once there, they got caught shoplifting a $1 item whilst having $100 cash in their pocket.  After all that, they insisted that I keep their dirty little secret until they come clean with others. No more rides to store to suck me into their shoplifting schemes.   It was clearly far and away about changing the way they feel over a dire need for some $1 trinket.

I can see that this is not going to go well.  .  Nearly three years, lies of omission concerning my thoughts and feelings were a huge part of a months-long relapse.  I am not going to carry their secret long for them.  Instead they will be held accountable for their actions.

While I surely continue to have my own lies of omission these days, I don’t use stealing as a way to change how I feel and I am not trying to coerce others to tell lies (of omission) so I can save face.  Years ago Merri told me that I can save my face or save my ass, but I can’t do both.


I am grateful for having 10 months sober on the 5th and for not having nearly so many lies of omission that keep me from having close relationships with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment