The Tyranny Of Expectations

Emotionally it has been a rough couple weeks for me.  A major source of my pain is due to bizarre expectations of a life that never was and never will be.  I am somehow feeling a sense of loss and disappointment from not having an idealized Norman Rockwell Christmas gathering with family and friends. 

Two of my three siblings died when I was a teenager.  That was 40 years ago.  We never had a big family gathering with nieces and nephews and such going on.  I would not like if we did since it would be way too much noise and drama for me.

My biggest problem is not living in the present moment.  Right now, I have two loving cats, a beautiful Xmas tree with lots of presents under it and a Xmas turkey in the fridge.  I am sober with money in the bank and have paid off most of my bills from the wreckage of my relapse from two years ago.   My life is okay and yet I feel like I need to escape.  What I need to do is live the life I have and stop pining for a life that never was—even if I had that life, it would not make me happy.

I will continue to take further action to live a happier life with more socializing and physical activities.

I am grateful to know that this too shall pass, that I don’t have to use drugs to change how I feel today and for the hope of a better tomorrow with a lot less baggage from insane expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment