Kindness

I am working diligently at being kinder to all.  A primary goal in my life is to be kind and loving.  That mandates overcoming my standoffish veneer that I have spent a lifetime polishing like it was a treasure to be guarded at all costs.  In reality, it precluded good relationships on a large scale.

Today I was kind to a stranger by letting a lady, who was likely stressed by holiday shopping, that had just stuffed her SUV with Xmas gifts that she had an electric cord hanging out the tailgate of her sleigh.  She blew me a kiss across the parking lot. 

Sometimes just keeping my mouth shut is the best kindness I can do at the time.  I wanted to commend another lady with an SUV for having gotten 2 of her 4 wheels inside the parking stripes after she parked so close to a compact car they could barely get in the door. SUV drivers with cars that are too big for them to maneuver are a pet peeve of mine.  WTF?  Get smaller car.    Saying nothing was good. 

It may have taken me 55 years to realize how important it is to be kind to others as a way of building relationships, but I am grateful for the progress I have made.

1 comment:

  1. I just think kindness works at the coldest (usually part of the year)! Why not be kind and loving, it really helps people out a lot, someone could be contemplating doing something awful to themselves and boom shakala someone is kind and loving..I cannot for the life of me understand Washington state having lived here 36 and 1/2 years, the people in Vancouver live right next to each other and never speak or anything I know we have lived in our neighborhood for this amount of time actually our tiny home built and complete in Oct. 1978 but it is 36 years, we came from the sunniest place we could ever imagine colorful Colorado and everyone was nice and outdoors so much, earning a living, hiking, biking and walking, here one is kept inside but not me I go out no matter what, I find people so prejudicial and small minded even though the marijuana initiative passed because of King county not our county, and same sex marriage initiative passed also because of King county not our county, we have farmers and people who like the tea party in vast quantities living here and they are narrow minded..No we are thinking of living a tiny apt. in a place of sunshine and warmth we are tried of narrow minded and prejudice people all the time and HUNGER & HOMELESSNESS AND NO JOBS, oh, my goodness sakes alive no wonder it took 14 tries to get the LIBRARY ballot approved..we are kind to everyone but most here are NOT, you live in a well to do urban community, Bellevue has one of the highest incomes per capita in all of the state of Washington and I believe it when we go up to your city the people act differently I guess making at least $50,000 a year does make people happier and friendlier I notice you live up there and are happy! Keep up your quest for KINDNESS AND SHARING AND SOBRIETY YOU DO QUITE A SERVICE TO OTHERS WHO ARE STRUGGLING, HAPPY HANUKKAH AND MERRIEST OF CHRISTMASES & Peace and joy and Sobriey in 2015 too!

    ReplyDelete