Showing Up

“Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman co-wrote the Oscar winning screenplay for the 1977 movie Annie Hall, and they were interviewed together by the journalist Susan Braudy.  The following words were spoken by Marshall Brickman, but he attributed the adage to Woody Allen: I have learned one thing. As Woody says, ‘Showing up is 80 percent of life.’ Sometimes it’s easier to hide home in bed. I’ve done both.”

I spend a lot of time in bed to avoid chronic pain.  I also go to a 12-step meeting every day, wrote this blog, meditate, pray and try to be of service to others.  There is a choice to be happy for what success I am having or to be disappointed for the myriad of activities I am not doing.  This year has been the best year of my life for learning how to be happy and in relationship with others.  A huge part of that is letting go of what I can’t do safely such as interacting with my mother—she is too toxic for me.


I am grateful for the choice to see the glass of life as half-full today.  That is a lot better than worrying about a half-empty glass running dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment