9 Months

I had 9 months of continuous sobriety yesterday…for the fourth time.  Alcoholism is a cunning, baffling and powerful disease.  It is good to be amongst the small fraction of alcoholics that have any kind of time in their sobriety. 

Sure, it would be great to have 14+ years of sobriety since I went to rehab.  It would be even greater to not be alcoholic nor paralyzed.   Being mindful of living in the present moment, I am an alcoholic and do have a spinal cord injury. 

It is easy to always remember to use my wheelchair to get around.  I always do that. Remembering to use my recovery tools to deal with my alcoholism is a lot harder and more ambiguous.  Right action is the ultimate goal.  My own best thinking is the thing I crave.  It is like the difference between exercising and eating sugar for physical fitness when it comes to right action vs my best thinking.


I am grateful for 9 months of sobriety and the tools of the program.   

No comments:

Post a Comment