Protection for the Elderly – Especially our Mother

My mother has severe dementia and some money.  That makes her a prime target for those that prey on the weak.  She lives at Sunrise Senior Living of Bellevue next to Crossroad’s Mall.  Yesterday I learned that a Sunrise employee had stolen and forged a $1500 check on my mother’s account this Fall.  Sunrise considered that act so heinous, they actually fired Marlene some time later.  My thinking is that Marlene will simply move on to the next senior care facility and continue her predatory behavior.

My sister and I agree that Marlene at last needs to be charged with a crime.  Hopefully, she will be convicted thus getting a record that would preclude her from working with the elderly so she does not continue to steal from them.

My mother’s bank was supposed to have refunded the $1500 back to her account.  We will not get our next quarterly report until January.  Her lawyer, Ladd Leavins, never did answer our questions about the $3000 check to customer service in June.  We suspect that our mother is being preyed upon by those in a position of trust with a responsibility to help her.  My sister and I sought to get a guardianship for our mother.  We were unable to do so.  We will continue to defend our mother’s financial safety to the best of our ability.

Fortunately, there are agencies that can help us do the best we can.  Two of the obvious to contact next week are the Washington State AG’s Office and the Bellevue Police Department.


I am grateful that my sister is a CPA and skilled advocate for our mother’s best interests.  Otherwise, she would be plucked clean and turned-out as a ward of the state in short order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment