Get To vs Have To

When I think of completing the tasks on my TDL that will make my life better, all too often I frame the work in the context of “I have to do…”.   That instantly makes them more of an onerous chore in my mind and less to do while completing said task.  If I reframe the task as “I get to do…”, it makes it said task more of a privilige and an opportunity making it an opportunity to look forward to with anticipation and a more pleasant time while completing the task.

For example, we have celebrated the holiday season with turkey, ham and rib roast dinners over the last month.  The entree of choice for Xmas looks to be chicken cordon bleu.  Chances are good that it will come out of a box, but we might make them starting with chicken breasts, cheese and ham.  I will get to go shopping for Xmas dinner and maybe get to make chicken cordon bleu from scratch which will be a first for me.  Lea has made them before.  We already checked at the downtown Bellevue Safeway and they are not available as pre-made.


I am grateful for the things that I get to do in my life today.  I am blessed with sufficient financial security to afford Xmas gifts for others, a nice dinner, a warm place to live and choices about how I get to spend my time with this holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog daily, I wish more people with alchoholism would be like you they seem to get really jammed up at the holidays..they think more of alcohol than human life..My dad went to you know what in a handbasket after my Mom's untimely cancer death when I was little he sunk into an alcoholic mess we big family were taken away from him. My life has never ever included alcohol at all, my hubs the same his dad and mom had 8 kids late in life, he drank like a fish as the saying goes and ran around with women, left her high and dry and no money or anything, she never divorced him and it was her way or the highway as she waited for him, he died from cirrohis of the liver painfully, she never ever spoke ill of him, her kids suffered horribly, my hubs got out of the house young and never has had alcohol ever..the first born usually never does get the gene or if they do they don't act upon it! I live in Washington state and read faithfully your blog and enjoy it, oh, how & why can't others at least try to be sober as it is truly a wonderful life and in my opinion it is a disease just like mental illness and cancer...ciao happy holidays to you and you are brave and strong, keep up your daily fight against an insidious disease..ciao!

    ReplyDelete