Weight Loss

Yesterday, I went to my doctor’s for my usual every 6-weeks blood test.  That went well.  I went in right on time, got a blood draw & tested, waited a few minutes to see my GP, had a nice chat, got a good score on the test, gave her a hug and left.  I love my Dr Lucy Hwang.  We have a great relationship.

While I was there, I had the nurse weigh me on their wheelchair accessible scale.  Nice lady, she wanted to take off 30 pounds for my wheelchair, backpack and such.  In theory, that was a good idea.  In practice, she did not document the mental math.  Thus, the weight data would be nearly useless over time to tell if I lost weight or not.  Her method had me losing 13 pounds in six weeks.  Over small objections on my part, she still wrote down a “corrected number” instead of what the scale said.  This morning I started a spreadsheet at home to track my uncorrected weight. 

I am much more invested in losing weight over time than I am with what I weigh at a given time.   Using arbitrarily corrected numbers will not help track my progress.

As it is, I probably lost 6-8 pounds in the last 6 weeks.  I got weight right after a big burger and fries lunch with Dan including 3 pounds of pop and having a hardcover book in my backpack.  The fantastic news is that for the first time in 14+ years of recovery, I am losing weight while sober.  Thank you god!


I am grateful to be lighter and more physically fit today.

No comments:

Post a Comment