Making a More Functional Accessible Bathroom

After 32 years of being paraplegic, I am blessed by not yet having blown out one or both of my shoulders. 

I don’t sleep on my back due to sitting on my butt all day when in my wheelchair—that skin needs a daily break from being under pressure.  My shoulders both have problems from sleeping on my side(s) leading to nerve damage.  Basically I sleep on one side under the pain is so much that it is time to turn over to the other side.  It has been like that since being paralyzed.  The pain is worse on my left shoulder than on my right.   My best guess is that it is a neuropathology problem as much as anything.  Swimming has greatly reduced the pain in my shoulders.

I have been working with a nurse trying to make my apartment more user-friendly for me.  I am an adaptive equipment minimalist.   Even with a manual wheelchair, I had two broken bolts and a flat tire on my wheelchair yesterday.  More complicated equipment may have more functionality, but it also is harder to fix and is even more maintenance. Someday I will likely need such equipment.  The more I can do on my own, the more exercise I get with fewer adaptive devices taking up space in my two bedroom apartment.

The nurse arranged for an Occupational Therapist to come over today.  We looked over my apartment with a focus on the bedroom and bathroom.  It is not yet time for a lift and/or a trapeze over my bed.  

I am going remodel the shower basin and get a custom shower bench.  I will have the fiberglass shower basin with a 5”high by 4” wide wall-to-wall barrier removed and replaced by a floor level tile basin.  The shower bench will be custom fitted to the back corner of the shower and sticking out a few inches making it both stronger and easier to use than the padded shower bench that I currently have.

The nurse and the OT have been exceedingly kind, knowledgeable and helpful.  I trust that they know what they are doing, am glad to have their help and suggestions and am humbled by my need for help from others to live independently.


I am extremely grateful for these resources including insurance to pay for these expenses to help me continue to live an independent life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment