Those Who Still Suffer

“Let us resist the proud assumption that since God has enabled us to do well in one area we are destined to be a channel of saving grace for everybody.  A.A. Comes of Age, p. 232

A.A. groups exist to help alcoholics achieve sobriety. Large or small, firmly established or brand-new, speaker, discussion or study, each group has but one reason for being: to carry the message to the still-suffering alcoholic. The group exists so that the alcoholic can find a new way of life, a life abundant in happiness, joy, and freedom. To recover, most alcoholics need the support of a group of other alcoholics who share their experience, strength and hope. Thus my sobriety, and our program's survival, depend on my determination to put first things first."


Three of my good friends in recovery have between 0 and 20 days of sobriety.  It is easy for me to understand how that happened.  Using always seems like a good idea to me—until I think it through to the end result.  All too often, we don’t get that far in our thinking before drinking.

Tonight I went to a meeting and then called my sponsor.  It is a bit like practicing a fire drill.  I was not in crisis, but want to be prepared before lightning strikes again. 

An exercise from my current read on self-compassion is to tell myself that I love myself exactly as I am.  I can also give myself a hug while telling myself that.  After two days of trying, so far so good!

I am grateful for my recovery, sobriety and for the support that I get from my friends and others in AA.

No comments:

Post a Comment