Being Willing

Three years ago, I went to 73 different 12-step groups on the Eastside for an outreach effort by Eastside Intergroup. It was a great experience. Hopefully the new ESIG office manager, Nancy O, will give it a go real soon now.

AA literature repeatedly discusses the importance of being willing. My big lesson-learned at the many different meetings was how vitally important it is to be willing. Willing to: go to meetings; get a sponsor; work the steps; work with others; be honest; be open; and in general be willing to do whatever it takes to live sober.

Four of the meetings I attended this week discussed willingness. Two meetings were on the Step 6, were entirely ready (willing) to have god remove these defects of character. From page 76 of the big book, “ We have emphasized willingness as being indispensable. Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all - every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing.”

I am grateful for my willingness to work on my recovery to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment