the talk on gratitude I wish I had said last night

Last night I went to my former home group in S. Seattle. It is a large group of 100+ that uses a microphone so everybody can hear. Last night was birthday night and I got to talk about having 6 years. I rambled on and on in a confused sort of way that finally ended. For simplicity and anonymity, I will use more jargon than usual.

The EW members have been some of my best role models in recovery. We actually have regularly scheduled business meetings at my current home group. I learned that at EW.

Seeing Barry, Gloria, Jennifer and others at the GSIG corrections committee meetings was my start in committee service work. Going to KC Juvie with Josh was a great experience.

When I needed some guidance with the ESIG board, Janny and Shirley met with me at Janny's office over lunch to talk about how best to work with others. The moral of the story was this too shall pass.

When my new home group visited Echo Glen, Jennifer went with me to meet with the kids. It was a great experience. She also started the only new treatment facility meeting on the Eastside in the last 10 years that I know about.

While I don't play softball, it is my understanding that there are 16 teams in a sober softball league that had great support from Scott while getting started back in the early days. One of the biggest meetings on the Eastside is the Saturday night speakers meeting cofounded by Dean.

Recently I have doing some PI service work. Dave is the GSIG PI/CPC committee chair. We are going to put 5000 bookmarkers with website/contact info in all 43 of the King County Libraries.

I learned to shake hands with strangers while serving as a EW greeter 6 years ago with Steve. Vito demonstrated how a master organizes a group anniversary dinner. Vito & Marvin have been spotted at the GSIG intergroup office on multiple occasions.

Crystal's knowledge of the big book is impressive. Jennifer has been a big advocate for increased 12-step literacy at my new home group on the Eastside.

Margo went with me to a concert last month. It was my first concert ever at the Woodland Park zoo.

Then there is the gold standard, Ralph. He is a great role model in having done massive service work, having incredible long term sobriety, and always having a handshake and a friendly smile for friends new and old. His story in the Seattle Times last year was a textbook example of how to maintain anonymity at the level of press, radio and film while carrying the message. His presence & presentation at the 75th anniversary party was inspirational. Sea-Dru-Nar does a fantastic job of providing opportunities for people in recovery to get their lives back on track.

I am grateful for all the wonderful role models at EW. Thank you for my sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment