Not missing things when they are gone…or appreciating what I have while I have it

A friend used and defined the word "complacent" tonight in a discussion defining it as smug self-satisfaction. That was close enough for her usage.

For me, being complacent also includes taking things for granted and not being grateful for all the blessings in my life. I did not know what to write about tonight and had to think about it for a minute or two before choosing complacency.

I am grateful for the many little blessings that make up my life. My two cats, the birds to entertain them, dry cat food, are a few of the many blessings that make my life better. One cat even greets me by the door when I come home so a can pet her as soon as the door closes. She then climbs in my lap and will go for a short ride until her cat ADD kicks in and she needs to do something else.

There are many other material blessings in my life that I get a bit of cognitive dissonance when I think about writing about them. It is as if there is some rule that I can only be grateful for relationships and the big things in my life. It is disconcerting to write about the washcloth sized microfiber wipes that I have for cleaning my glasses as if that is too trivial to write about. Cleaning my eyeglasses is not trivial. I clean them one or more times a day with a eyeglass cleaning solution and wiping with my microfiber cloth.

To avoid complacency (and writer's block), I will write more about little things that make my life better.

I am grateful for the many little things that make my life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment