Self-Acceptance

We know that God lovingly watches over us. We know that when we turn to Him, all will be well with us, here and hereafter. 12x12, p. 105

I pray for the willingness to remember that I am a child of God, a divine soul in human form, and that my most basic and urgent life-task is to accept, know, love and nurture myself. As I accept myself, I am accepting God's will. As I know and love myself, I am knowing and loving God. As I nurture myself I am acting on God's guidance.
I pray for the willingness to let go of my arrogant self-criticism, and to praise God by humbly accepting and caring for myself.
From AA’s Daily Reflections for November 11th

All too often, I berate myself for real or imagined mistakes.   This is definitely a family of origin issue, no matter what I did, it was never good enough.  My parents are long gone from my life and yet I continue with negative self-talk.   Any kind of logic or therapy or recovery tells me that it is incredibly self-destructive and not helpful to living a better life.

Working on fears in my 4th step, it is ever more clear that I have many great fears about success.  Much of that is from a fear of the pain of loss.  If I don’t have anything, I can’t lose anything.   That is insanely bad logic since I will lose all possibility of a life that is happy joyous and free.

I am grateful for the progress I am making on reducing negative self-talk and being a better friend to myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment