A Bit of Exercise

I get great medical care through the University of Washington Medical Center (hospital) and its peripheral system such as the UW Physicians medical clinics and Harborview.  One way for me to reciprocate in the benefits of a teaching hospital is to participate in medical research studies.  I have been in about 8 studies in the last 15 years.   Some of the studies have turned into longitudinal studies over time.   The ones I have done dealt with spinal cord injury issues and pain or physical fitness.  I definitely got more than money out of the studies with enhanced knowledge of pain management or being more motivated to exercise.

I recently started a “clinical trial” (a more advanced version of the usual study).   Today I did an exercise stress test with a VO2 breathing mask and a lot of electrodes while using a hand crank ergometer (stationary hand bike).  It felt good to get some more vigorous exercise.  I have an older noisier verson of the ergometer.  Swimming is not working out for me this year.   I will set up my hand bike and use it…sometime soon!

I am grateful for some exercise and for great medical care that I get through UW medical system.


No comments:

Post a Comment